This easy, one-pan low carb chicken marsala recipe is gluten-free, paleo, whole 30, and made with just six ingredients in a skillet.
- 4 medium Chicken breast
- 10 oz Portobello mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 cup Marsala cooking wine
- 1/2 cup Chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot powder (or xanthan gum – see notes*)
- 1/4 cup Butter (or ghee)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Season both sides of the chicken breast lightly with sea salt and pepper. Cook the chicken in a single layer for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown and their liquid has evaporated.
- Add the Marsala wine to the pan. Bring to a boil, turning up the heat to do so if necessary. Simmer for a few minutes, until the the volume of the liquid is reduced by half.
- Whisk the arrowroot powder and chicken broth in a small bowl. Add the chicken broth mixture and remaining butter to the pan. Simmer, stirring and scraping any browned bits from the bottom, for a few more minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken back to the pan. Heat for a minute or two until the chicken is heated through. Garnish with fresh parsley.